Throughout Detroit Country Day School, students learn in an atmosphere that promotes self-confidence and self-esteem, allowing them to become independent learners and thinkers, well prepared for secondary school. Our goal is to develop and nurture the entire child. This involves activities that stretch well beyond the classroom. Every environment—from the playing field to the library—helps to enrich each student's life. Their educational experiences, whether in the classroom, out on the playing fields, on the stage, or in any of extracurricular activities offered, should always push them to their full potential.
In addition to our comprehensive academic curriculum, all our students must participate in the arts, competitive athletics, and community service.
Being one of the best private preschools in Michigan means establishing a loving, caring environment immediately. Beginning in our early childhood programs, each child is given the tools and support to grow to his or her potential. Children are encouraged to express their own ideas and needs as well as show respect for others. From the very earliest grades, your child learns science, math, computer skills, French, history, art, music, English and physical education. He or she is provided with life-long academic and social tools to develop self-confidence and an enthusiasm for learning.
In the sunny private elementary school halls or the quaint Victorian setting of the pre-kindergarten learning village, you and your child will discover a “home away from home” where young students begin to lay strong foundations for their future.
The goals of the Detroit Country Day Lower School are to develop:
- Self-esteem and mutual respect
- A well-rounded child with basic instruction in mathematics, reading, communication skills, science, foreign language, social studies and the fine and performing arts
- An enthusiasm for learning
- Social, physical and intellectual awareness and responsibility
- A mentally resourceful child who demonstrates the physical confidence and skills to make the successful transition into any competitive sport or dance program
- An awareness of health and safety principles
- Each child to the best of his or her ability
- A feeling of pride in appearance and appropriate behavior
At Detroit Country Day Junior School, caring and knowledgeable teachers who are experts at keeping students excited about learning will guide your child on that path. The nurturing that begins at Detroit Country Day Lower School continues, tailored to the children's maturity level. Students explore the process of experimentation, begin testing the laws of nature, delve deeper into language and mathematics, and further expand their creative minds.
As you would expect from a top private elementary school, Detroit Country Day Junior School students discover more than the sum of their academic experience. They discover confidence, personal responsibility and an increased independence. They discover within themselves a more capable and inquisitive young person than they ever imagined.
The goals of the Detroit Country Day Junior School are to develop:
- Independence, accountability and leadership ability in the pre-adolescent child
- A sense of responsibility and self-discipline, respect for others, and pride in oneself and one's accomplishments
- The basic skills introduced in the Detroit Country Day Lower School, challenging each individual student to reach his/her potential
- Further knowledge through a variety of extracurricular after-school activities
- An enthusiasm and a love for learning
- A path toward life-long learning
- A well-rounded, productive citizen who can meet the challenges of an ever-changing society
- A well-adjusted child by providing opportunities for intellectual, social, psychological, and physical growth
The Detroit Country Day Middle School is truly a lively and engaging place, filled with remarkable students and teachers. During the middle school years, emotional and social development is inextricably entwined with intellectual development. Our program is designed around that understanding, allowing students the opportunity to build their academic skills, delve into interpersonal issues, engage in athletics, and express themselves creatively, all within the school day.
As one of Metro Detroit’s top private middle schools, academically, our teachers strive to capitalize on the students’ academic, social and physical skills, resulting in our students learning in a wide variety of ways. The goals of the Detroit Country Day Middle School are to develop and promote:
- A positive self-image in order to cope with the many emotional, social and physical changes inherent to this age group
- Greater individual responsibility, leadership skills, and social and moral awareness
- Creative, responsible and independent thinkers
- Organizational, problem-solving, and study skills to facilitate the acquisition of knowledge in the appropriate content areas
- A positive well-being through such programs as physical education, health awareness, and competitive athletics
- Proper student deportment and respect for others
- An enthusiasm for learning and intellectual curiosity
- An academic and study skills foundation in preparation for the Detroit Country Day Upper School curriculum
- Well-rounded individuals through a variety of experiences beyond the academic classroom
- A sensitivity to the effect of human activities on the environment
- An appreciation for the fine and performing arts
- Proficiency in the utilization of computer technology
The Detroit Country Day Upper School offers a strong and varied program that provides numerous opportunities for students to demonstrate their individual strengths and develop their potential. The rigorous college-preparatory program, which includes Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each discipline in addition to a diverse selection of electives, prepares students for the college and university setting.
Because we are a premier private high school in Southeast Michigan, our curriculum is designed to inform, challenge, and stimulate students as they are being prepared for college and lifelong learning. The focus is not only on the content of the liberal arts, but also on the acquisition of skills that will enable young people to solve varying problems in an ever-changing world. Courses are designed to actively engage students in the learning process, to build ongoing relationships with faculty and peers, and to achieve academic independence as a hallmark of their endeavors.
The Detroit Country Day Upper School strives to develop:
- An enthusiastic student with a high level of intellectual curiosity and a love for life time learning
- A well-prepared student with highly developed study skills, one that can adjust to the expectations and rigors of college, career and community
- A perceptive student with an understanding of technology and its applications to each academic discipline
- A global student with an appreciation for different cultures and a respect for individuals
- An ethical student with a strong sense of personal integrity and a willingness to lead
- A healthy student with a commitment to athletics and physical fitness
- A strong commitment to the psychological, social, athletic and aesthetic development of the student
Upon earning a place in the Detroit Country Day Upper School, you also earn a promise; a promise that from that day forward, you will be a part of something special for the rest of your life. It's a promise that you will be challenged, that your horizons will widen, and that you will encounter memorable faculty and unique opportunities.
These characteristics represent the core of a student's experiences, pursuits, and commitments, integrating essential skill is within academics, athletics, arts and activities:
- Collaborative and Cooperative
- Community-Centered and Globally Aware
- Conscientious Leader
- Critical Thinker and Creative Problem Solver
- Health and Wellness Oriented
- Independent Learner
- Information Literate
- Socially and Personally Responsible
- Technologically Adept