Grades 9 - 12
The Upper School curriculum offers strong and varied classes that provide numerous opportunities for students to demonstrate their strengths and develop their potential. The comprehensive college-preparatory program, which includes Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each discipline, is designed to actively engage students in the learning process with a foundation that is EPIIC (experiential, participatory, interdisciplinary, image-rich, and connected). This core foundation is also instrumental to our students achieving academic and problem-solving independence. Our dynamic classroom environment is the key to developing ongoing relationships with faculty and peers and our success in delivering a rigorous and relevant curriculum.
Upper School students also have the opportunity to obtain an International Baccalaureate diploma, or graduation designations as a Global Scholar or Conservatory Scholar by following curricular protocols set-forth for each of these programs.
AP, IB, and Honors Courses
Students have many options to challenge themselves in areas of interest.
Three Unique Diploma Designations
We offer these diploma designations: International Baccalaureate, Global Scholar, or Conservatory
The current number of clubs offered in the Upper School
In my years of teaching at DCDS, I have come to have great confidence in the fact that students are going to experience intellectual growth. But I think the most powerful part of this education is that we are nurturing strong, competent, and compassionate leaders.
~ Teneka Singleton, Assistant Head of School of Student Life
- An enthusiastic student with a high level of intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning
- A well-prepared student with highly developed study skills, one that can adjust to the expectations and rigors of college, career and community
- A perceptive student with an understanding of technology and its applications to each academic discipline
- A global student with an appreciation for different cultures and a respect for individuals
- An ethical student with a strong sense of personal integrity and a willingness to lead
- A healthy student with a commitment to good nutrition and physical fitness
- A well-balanced student by addressing social and emotional wellness