PK 3 - Grade 3
As a top Michigan private preschool and elementary school, the Detroit Country Day Lower School program fosters the social and emotional growth of children in preschool through Grade 3 in an environment that intertwines academics and enrichment activities. Our Reggio Emilia inspired early education focuses on building learning experiences around a child's interests and natural environment. An integrated curriculum using our EPIIC (experiential, participatory, image-rich, interdisciplinary, and connected) approach helps students understand relationships between disciplines and apply what they have learned in new situations. Our dedicated faculty give students the confidence to master basic skills and progress to higher levels of learning.
reading and math groups
Kindergarten through Grade 3 students are placed into individualized reading and math levels to receive personalized attention. Each grade has five levels.
Specialized areas for project-Based learning
Our school has a Tinker Lab, a Wet Lab, and a Makerspace for ingenuity, problem solving, and creativity to flourish.
Houses of character
Our House Program augments the school community and focuses on character building exercises for responsibility, empathy, integrity, loyalty, and respect.
We want to make sure that we are constantly tapping into the abilities of the children and their interests and then we build from there.
~ Jennifer Bullock, Lower School Director
- A well-rounded child with an enthusiasm for learning to their best ability
- Self-esteem and self-respect
- Mutual respect and appreciation of others
- Social, physical, and intellectual awareness
- A mentally resourceful child who demonstrates the physical confidence and skills to make the successful transition into any competitive sport or dance program
- An awareness of health and safety principles
- A confident child with a sense of independence, accountability, and leadership abilities in the pre-adolescent child
- An appreciation of social responsibility and self-discipline
- A well-adjusted child through programs for intellectual, social, psychological, and physical growth