Upper School Academics
The Detroit Country Day Upper School offers a strong and varied program that provides numerous opportunities for students to demonstrate their individual strengths and develop their potential. The rigorous college-preparatory program, which includes Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each discipline in addition to a diverse selection of electives, prepares students for the college and university setting.
Because we are a premier private high school in Southeast Michigan, our curriculum is designed to inform, challenge, and stimulate students as they are being prepared for college and lifelong learning. The focus is not only on the content of the liberal arts, but also on the acquisition of skills that will enable young people to solve varying problems in an ever-changing world. Courses are designed to actively engage students in the learning process, to build ongoing relationships with faculty and peers, and to achieve academic independence as a hallmark of their endeavors.
The Detroit Country Day Upper School strives to develop:
- An enthusiastic student with a high level of intellectual curiosity and a love for life time learning
- A well-prepared student with highly developed study skills, one that can adjust to the expectations and rigors of college, career and community
- A perceptive student with an understanding of technology and its applications to each academic discipline
- A global student with an appreciation for different cultures and a respect for individuals
- An ethical student with a strong sense of personal integrity and a willingness to lead
- A healthy student with a commitment to athletics and physical fitness
- A strong commitment to the psychological, social, athletic and aesthetic development of the student
Upon earning a place in the Detroit Country Day Upper School, you also earn a promise; a promise that from that day forward, you will be a part of something special for the rest of your life. It's a promise that you will be challenged, that your horizons will widen, and that you will encounter memorable faculty and unique opportunities.