Lower School Academics
Being one of the best private preschools in Michigan means establishing a loving, caring environment immediately. Beginning in our early childhood programs, each child is given the tools and support to grow to his or her potential. Children are encouraged to express their own ideas and needs as well as show respect for others. From the very earliest grades, your child learns science, math, computer skills, French, history, art, music, English and physical education. He or she is provided with life-long academic and social tools to develop self-confidence and an enthusiasm for learning.
In the sunny private elementary school halls or the quaint Victorian setting of the pre-kindergarten learning village, you and your child will discover a “home away from home” where young students begin to lay strong foundations for their future.
The goals of the Detroit Country Day Lower School are to develop:
- Self-esteem and mutual respect
- A well-rounded child with basic instruction in mathematics, reading, communication skills, science, foreign language, social studies and the fine and performing arts
- An enthusiasm for learning
- Social, physical and intellectual awareness and responsibility
- A mentally resourceful child who demonstrates the physical confidence and skills to make the successful transition into any competitive sport or dance program
- An awareness of health and safety principles
- Each child to the best of his or her ability
- A feeling of pride in appearance and appropriate behavior